Monday, March 17, 2003


I was on campus today, and I went in the the University Center, the UC for all those familiar, and immediatley upon going in I heard the loud, familiar sounds of Buddhist Monks chanting. As you may, or may not know, I have been extremely enthralled with Buddhism for a long time, probably dating back to the day my Dad brought back The Teaching of Buddha from his trip to Saudi Arabia. I remember from the first time I opened it, I was hooked...since that day, I've taken classes, and read a great deal about this amazing Religion. At any rate, I walked over to the source of the sound, and I saw something I've always wanted to see: Tibetean Buddhist Monks kneeling down and creating an amazing mandala out of brightly colored sand. This process takes anywhere up to a few weeks, and in the case of the mandala here, upon completion this Friday, they will dismantle it, to see how click the mandala link, and after dismantling it they will empty the sand into the middle of the Clark Fork River. They do this with the believe that peace and love will follow each bright grain of sand wherever the river decides to take it.

Anyhow, immediatly after watching this mandala making process, and looking around at ways to continue to give to the Free Tibet Campaign, I had to go to my billiards class. When I got in to the classroom I saw the most blaring contradiction I can remember. Two Buddhist Monks, in full robes, hunched over a pool table shooting a game of 8 Ball. In the background for this surreal scene, was the music of White Zombie at top volume. How completely strange. From watching them shoot pool for nearly an hour, I have never learned as powerful a lesson about the essence of Buddhism...I tell you this, I've never seen two people care less about whether the ball went in or not, they were just happy to play.

P.S. Please do what you can, and help free Tibet from China's chains...International Campaign for Tibet or Free Tibet Campaign