Sunday, March 23, 2003


Ok, does anyone else out there feel really strange when watching the war news? I just got done watching the Centcom briefing, and they were speaking about the "skirmish" that U.S. troops encountered in the town of An N?sirïyah. At any rate, when I say "strange," I really am trying to express the way that my mind works when battles, or fire-fights such as these are discussed on the news. Does anyone else find themselves imagining clips of movies such as "Black Hawk Down" or "We Were Soldiers" or any other of the hundreds of war movies out there? The entire time An N?sirïyah was being discussed, I could see bullets flying past soldiers hiding behind shoddy urban walls, explosions lifting red dust off the never to be paved streets that crisscross the town, Iraqi's in white robes with thick mustaches, all of the above taking place in super-slo-mo in my mind to a musical score by Hans Zimmer or someone, with the woman from the "Gladiator" soundtrack wailing in the background. I just wonder if anyone else's sense of reality is being blurred and melding into Hollywood films...which also raises the question, are movies becoming far too "realistic" and bringing people closer to such horrible events, or is society becoming so desensitized that hearing of such awful things in the news just becoming commonplace and routine to a point that it feels like a movie? Or perhaps it is a combination of the two...one thing leading to another. What do you people think? I am looking for some responses to this post, so please either Sign My Guestbook, or Mail Me . Either one works. Hope to hear some reactions.