Saturday, March 22, 2003


I was thinking today about albums that have changed my life, or left a huge dent in my memory...albums that stand out as representing to me a certain time in my life, something I've gone through, times I've laughed, cried, whatever. So, I decided to compile a brief list of some of the albums that will always stick out as most influential in my life. Some of them are as follows(in no order):

1. The Joshua Tree - U2. Hands down, the most influential album of my entire life. I do not know how I started loving U2, or when it happened, but I do know it was Forever ago. This album has more memories behind it than any album I own, or have ever listened to. From old girlfriends, to singing "Running to Stand Still" with one of the most amazing people I've ever met, Sven from Stokholm, Sweden; This album, as well as many others by U2 have been so important in my life. U2 will always be my favorite band, and this album always the best.

2. ( ) - Sigur Ros. I first heard Sigur Ros when I watched the movie "Vanilla Sky" and fell in love as their song "Njosnavelin(The Nothing Song)" played throughout the final scenes. I have been a HUGE fan ever since, and that was over a year and a half ago. I have never heard music like Sigur Ros, and the only way I can even attempt to explain it, is pretend you are dying, and you are floating up towards Heaven, and all you can hear is singing you can not translate, in a language you've never heard. That's how I feel when I listen to them.

3. Welcome to the Cruel World - Ben Harper. I really got into Ben Harper after my sister Rian brought home this album from college her freshman year. I listened to this album, especially "Pleasure and Pain" and "Walk Away" my junior and senior year of High School, and thoughts of that last year, and graduation always come with them.

4. Greatest Hits Vol. II and Blood on the Tracks - Bob Dylan. Arguably the most amazing singer/songwriter of all time. The lyrical genius of these albums inspired me to write more poetry, and the music itself inspired me to start playing the guitar. I love both of these albums.

5. 40oz. To Freedom and Sublime - Sublime. Both of these albums were on extremely heavy rotation my Junior year of High School. 99% of my time during that year was spent with a girl named Cody Harris and all of her close friends, who soon became my close friends. At any rate, one of these two albums was playing every day that I spent with them. I came to love both of these albums, and it really is sad that Bradley had to die. Both of these are amazing, and I love the songwriting.

6. Songs You Know By Heart - Jimmy Buffett. My love for Jimmy Bufffett is not measurable. Essentially, his music represents everything I have ever wanted in life: tropical weather, a good hammock, gentle breeze, good sunset, beautiful women, salty air, soft sounds of waves...Perfect. My friend Greg Dorrington got me interested in Buffett, and this was the album he started me off with. This song floods me with memories of golfing at Bill Roberts Golf Course, riding in Kurt's beat up Jeep, hitting Dairy Queen and getting Mr. Freezies before 9 holes. Man, Spring and Summer time drip from this album...I now own nearly all of his, but this was the first, and will always have a place in my heart.

Well, there are a few albums that I can not live without. The memories and inspirations surrounding them are deeply embedded into my mind and heart. Anyways, check them out if you so desire. There are sound clips for each and every album listed if you just click the Album Title. I do not know what I would do without music.