Monday, March 17, 2003


I was surfing around this amazing little time-robber that is the Internet, when I came across this quote: "We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would harm us." - George Orwell - At any rate, it really got me thinking about the War that is so seemingly inevitable. I live in a city, the city sits nestled inside a valley surrounded by high mountain walls and meandering streams; this valley sits inside this state called Montana, right above the "nose" on the far western side of the state; and this state sits inside the boundaries of these United States. This city I live in, is arguably the most liberal of all the large cities in Montana, and also has, arguably, the largest percentage of people who are, or who were at sometime happy to call themselves hippies. These Missoulians are very against the war that is creeping up on us and are extremely vocal about this fact. The more signs they put up, the more protests they organize, and the more media attention they get, the more I have trouble siding with them. Don't get me wrong, I am not saying I am pro-war, because it truly is a terrible thing for anyone to lose their life, but I fail to see the logic in these extremely noisy, often vocally violent Anti-War picketers. As the quote very eloquently notes, we as a nation can sleep safely in our beds, because far away on some distant battlefield, there are people just like me risking their lives for an ideal, and to me, protesting the war that they are so willing to join for that ideal, is a slap in the face of all of those who keep us safe. I have nothing but respect for these men and women who put themselves in harms way, risking all they have, to keep an unappreciative nation safe and sound.