Friday, April 25, 2003


Listening To: "Back To The Earth" by Rusted Root.

The title of my blog tonight does not reflect the current jean styles, or the remaining members of Led Zeppelin, nor does it reflect the lack of gloss on an old time photograph. Tonight, faded refers to my own, as well as America's interest in the War in Iraq. When the whole fiasco broke out I was glued to the television like a fly to those neon blue buzzing lights. I was captivated and astounded by the Generals, Majors, Colonels, Wolf Blitzer's, Shep Smiths, and yes, Jennifer Ecclestons. I'd leave the news on at night, and wake to it in the morning, waking my eyes to the sights and sounds of American military dominance. Now, the TV is weeping for MSNBC's absence, sobbing for Shep's disappearance. Newspapers are left rolled up tight with rubber bands on my floor for days until I have the time to unwrap them and reacquaint myself with "current events." Entertainment has seeped back into my life silently; overthrowing the War coverage like it never existed. The flurries of daily carnage and fatalities have been replaced with Major League Baseball, movies, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs. Even my blogs are representative of this change. During the War, nearly everything on my mind that ended up online was concerning some aspect of the war, the media's coverage, or my own personal thoughts on the topic...now look, not a mention for days. Where did this apathy come from? How did it leak and steal its way into my life? Over-exposure, overdoses of News broadcasts, and a complete lack of a "challenge" in Iraq? I do not know. I do know that we have all moved on from this, at a seemingly alarming speed. I never wonder what is going on, I never even care. I do not know how we are rebuilding, when we are rebuilding, or even if we are rebuilding. I am lost, and I am faded. Perhaps this is a good thing, perhaps it is unhealthy for me, and Americans alike, to be captivated by live broadcasts of gun battles, daily reports of "Coalition Fatalities." Perhaps the time has come for each of us to cleanse ourselves of the blood that stains America's hands, and try to step forward. At any rate, our interest has faded like stars at dawn, and I do not know how to feel about it.