Saturday, April 12, 2003


Song: "(3)" by Sigur Rós.

30 grams of protein, in bar form, tastes like solidified vomit. Seriously, I think they have some gigantic man stuffing his face with peanut butter rice krispy treats and Hershey's bars in a lab, that throws up every hour on the hour and that substance is then cooled, molded into bar shape, coated again with chocolate, wrapped up in shiny airtight wrappers, and then distributed all over the nation. GNC knows this, grocery stores know this, yet nothing is done. The reason I know there is something just a little bit strange with all this protein bar nonsense, is that protein itself, does not taste like solidified vomit. Companies like "Junga Juice" and the likes have found ways to put 30 grams of powdered protein into their smoothies with no negative effects or drastic changes in taste. Tonight my protein bar of choice was "Double Chocolate Crunch" made by the Premier Nutrition company. Upon opening the shiny white wrapper(see link) I smelled an enticing mix of chocolate, chocolate, and crunch, whatever that smells like. Upon taking my first bite, I tasted the stomach contents of that gigantic man, up-chucked into aforementioned shiny white wrapper...a delightful mix of chocolate, rice krispies, and dried milk. Yum. With all of the money going to athletes for endorsing various shoes, clothing lines, soft drinks and even cologne for goodness sake, why can they not drop some cash into the area of protein bars and the tastes that accompany them? I'm all for staying in shape, exercising daily and trying to get stronger and I must admit, look better nekkid, but when you have skinny genes like mine(Thanks Daddy-O!!) it can be a little extra work to add bulk; as a result, Protein Bars must be turned to. At any rate, I wonder how much they pay the fat man to throw up in my wrapper, cause I was thinking about it, I could do that job no problem, Rice Krispy treats are amazing.