Sunday, May 04, 2003


I got a phone call today from a lady from Taiwan looking for an apartment, I tell you people from Taiwan are extremely difficult to understand. She kept asking things over and over again, worded very strangely and completely out of context for renting an apartment. After about five minutes of chatting I seriously felt more like her counselor than her soon to be sub-leaser. At any rate, I had a strong realization during our conversation--laughter is amazing. No matter how difficult I found it to understand what this woman was saying, everytime she laughed, be it nervous laughter, or just genuine humor at the whole situation, I understood her completely and I could read her like a storybook. I realized tonight that laughter has no accent, neither knows nor needs language, and transcends any and all cultural barriers. Have you ever noticed, that no matter what someone is saying, and no matter what language they are saying it in, their laugh makes total sense, has no reflection of their ethnicity, and says more about the person than anything their words ever could? After today, I will listen a lot closer to the sound of everyone's laughter.

Tonight, my best homie Natalia and I decided it'd be a great idea to whip up a sweet batch of Toll House Chocolate Chip Cookies, seeing as though we have a Costco sized bag of chips. Anyway, we did a double batch, which required to double the ingredients, obviously, and an hour and a half later, BAM, we've got 75 healthy sized cookies. Knowing her, I have a hard time thinking they will last a long time, but they really made my apartment smell outstanding. Here is a tip for all you guys out there wanting to make a sweet batch of cookies: Add a little extra flour than it says to, it helps immensely to neutralize the greasiness that can often accompany over-softened butter, or tempermental egg whites. Do this, and your cookies will turn out fluffy, rich, and worthy of consumption. Trust me.