Friday, May 09, 2003


I have this friend named David Huff, he is quite the character. Anyways, for some random reason today I thought of him, and therefore I decided to share a memory about him. As I reflect back on elementary school, it does not feel altogether real; it feels like a dream I just woke up from, or a movie I just watched, but not real. The characters in this stage in my life are vibrant and cartoonized, and the memories of these kids litters my brain like a busy comic book. People like Shane Mitchell, the kid who only wore denim and used to get the crap kicked out of him at dodge ball, and occasionally "barred" by Gregory and myself (don't ask); McKenzie Hunter, the girl next door, my best friend from when I was old enough to understand friendship, and the girl in my life that feels like my youth; Bjor Johnson, the crazy-mullet wearing-bull in a china shop kid in the class who was the poster child for A.D.H.D...he even had a younger brother that played a role, named Johann, who had a strange condition that only few know about hahahaha; Dylan Schuller, the direct representation of Mad Magazine in a child; Adam Fauhl, hands down the nicest kid you'll ever meet...Adam has Tourette's Syndrome, and I will never forget how every year (we were Always in the same class) he had to stand up and give a speech to the class at the beginning of the year, explaining how he would often hit himself, and possibly yell out uncontrollably; Greg Dorrington, the man behind the legends, my oldest and best friend in the world, we've been through it all, laughed some, cried some, sang some, and got one arm tan, some; and finally David Huff. The title of this blog is "P.H." and that title comes from the hat that he always used to wear, his Little League hat that let everyone know he was on the Pizza Hut sponsored team. David was a kid who really loved pickles. He loved them to the point of obsession and I very distinctly remember going to the lunch table in elementary school and he would have huge quantities of pickles in his lunch box, grown by his Mom; to top off this oddity, he would bring a Thermos everyday of Pickle Juice to drink as his beverage. I am not even kidding. His delerium ran so deep that David became convinced that the P.H. on his hat did not mean Pizza Hut, rather it was somehow different than the 20 other hats on his team, and meant "Pickle Huff." Pickle Huff. Need I say more? The people that fill my mind from my youth are amazing, and I really think that if we don't visit these thoughts and memories often they start to become faded, eventually turning into something you think happened, but maybe to someone else. I never want to lose the images, the names, the voices and the memories that shaped my life at so young an age.

On a seperate note, the guy who hosts "Street Smarts" is actually a pretty funny little bugger.