Sunday, July 06, 2003


I am 22 years old today. I sit here typing this and the minutes blur to hours, the hours to days, and the days to full years. 22 years ago I awoke, eyes wide and screaming for life. I'd love to sit here and speak volumes of the lessons that each year has taught me, the epiphanies I have reached, or of the accomplishments and failures, but I will not. When it comes down to it, the one thing I've learned is that I have a lot more to learn. I find myself at peace with a lot right now, I've overcome some pretty serious obstacles in my life and what I have not defeated yet, I know I will. Spiritually speaking I am very pleased with the direction I've come. As Whitman put it, "I hear and behold God in every object." I couldn't agree more, if you ever just look around at the world, there are some pretty amazing things to see. Two nights ago, on Independence Day, I sat on top of the mountain by my house and watched fireworks explode over the city spread out before me. The whole time I was watching I was listening to "Von" by Sigur R?s and it was absolutely amazing. I hope everyone follows that link and downloads the song "Von" because it can seriously change your life, or at least your perspective. There's a lot of beauty left, you just have to open your eyes wide enough to see it, like the day you were born...Eyes wide and screaming.

"As to reaching the other shore, if one reaches it, one is not reaching the other shore. Both not-reaching and not-not-reaching are really reaching...If one sees Buddha, one is not seeing Buddha. When one sees there is no Buddha, one is really seeing Buddha.
Tao-Sheng-