Tuesday, January 27, 2004


I am displaced, I am a lost soul in a lost generation, born 20 years too late. I belong in an era long since passed, a time I never got to see, but strangely enough miss as if I had. I watched "Almost Famous" again last night while I was waiting to fall asleep and it really hit me hard. I belong in that movie, I can hear my fingers sliding on guitar strings, smell the dusty tour bus, feel the slowness of life. In essence, I think what I "miss" most about this time I never lived in, is the pace. I do not feel at home in 2004, I do not feel comfortable with the speed in which my world turns. The earth spins beneath us, but we do not feel it; the earth spins beneath me, and I am dizzy.

Pace. The rate of speed in which a movement passes. My pace is not the same of the world today, I am getting lapped by time, laughed at like the slow kid on the track, tripping over my untied shoe. I do not know what it is about the movie that stirred something in me, I have never known, but the closest I can come to understanding it is in the music of the film. The music then, in short, mattered. Lyrics told stories, guitars wept, and singers sang, truly sang. With every note, every lyric, every chord, you could feel the song; life's scars were painted with words that bled with emotion. With rare exceptions, I do not feel that today. I do not understand rap, I do not understand heavy metal, and I completely do not understand Pop; when did originality die? When did our nation give birth to such apathy for such a vital element of our culture? When did rock and roll stop being a lifestyle, when did it melt into a pre-fabricated, lip-synced, screaming mess? Where have the fans gone? The fans that know what it is to be a fan, to "truly love some silly little piece of music, or some band, so much that it hurts." I do not know, but I think if I were born 20 years ago, I would.

I am displaced, I am a lost soul in this lost generation, and I wish I could find my place, find my pace. Around me the world is rushing, but I can not move my feet. I do not know where I am going, and I do not know where I will end up. I wonder if anyone else out there feels like they can not catch up to the times that they live in, feels like they belong back in a time of hippies and gypsies, Led Zeppelin and Stillwater, long boards and t-shirts that were cool because they were, not because they were "vintage." Maybe it is because I have not found my Penny Lane yet, but I doubt it; I know one thing though, she'll feel the same way I do. Watching the movie also made me realize, that I want to be a writer. I do not know if it is screenplays, novels, articles in magazines, or newspaper columns, I need to be writing, but I know it is one of them. Writing is the only thing I can picture myself doing for the rest of my life as a job, and that fact both comforts and scares me. Whether or not I will get paid or make a decent living writing is still undecided and the odds are against me, but I have to try.

Perhaps someday I will catch up to time, perhaps I will begin to understand the music that permeates our culture, perhaps I will stop feeling the earth spin beneath my feet. The thing is, I really do not think I want to.