Wednesday, February 04, 2004


I finally got to sit down and watch a movie I've been meaning to watch for quite sometime, "Lost in Translation." I do not know exactly how to explain how much I loved this film. The movie reminded me of so many things, and showed me so much I hadn't seen before. I've never seen a movie capture such an awkward, but for some reason entirely perfect infatuation between two people, with such grace, and poignancy. Bill Murray has always been one of the funniest men alive, but in this movie he really matched his wit, with his unbelievable ability to slip in and out of total vulnerability. Scarlett Johansson was beautiful, and you could feel her emptiness, and longing. I think that is why I related so well to this movie, and to the relationship that weaved its way throughout it; the uncertainty and longing felt by Scarlett's character. I am in a transitory period of my life, and the scary thing is, I do not yet know where the transition is even taking me. I feel like she did, lost in a big city, where it's tough to find someone that just speaks your language a little; speaks "you" enough to figure out where you've come from, and where you're going.

Whatever it was, the movie really hit me. It was strange but as the movie ended, I actually found myself rooting for both of them to be infidelitious, I Wanted them to run away together, and that is something that really perplexed me. The movie was amazing and I loved the way tiny moments, little details, and unimportant idiosyncrasies that exist silently between two people were highlighted with such accuracy. The part in which Bill Murray finally reaches down and holds her foot was dead on, and you could feel both the tension, and the complete catharsis that took place the moment his fingers met skin. I do not know, but I loved the movie, and I think everyone should see it, soon.