Friday, April 01, 2005


I am not Catholic, nor have I ever been, but it still breaks my heart to watch the ever-unfolding news surrounding the Pope's failing health. To say this man has had an amazing Papacy is an understatement of an insulting magnitude. Here is a man that can converse in 28 languages, but silence millions with his grace.

Pope John Paul II has lead an amazing life and is now approaching his eventual demise in a manner in which is just as amazing. His voice has been a beacon for peace and global understanding for many years and to see him unable to even use it during his addresses, unable to speak during his mass, saddens me.

Now is a time of such great conflict that it scares me to lose a figure of reason and peace like the Pope; I will never forget the manner in which he stood up for his beliefs against President Bush after the decision to go to war was made. Like I said, I am not Catholic, nor have I ever been, but I will miss the Pope, and I respect him with all my heart. He transcends religion to me, and represents a strength of faith that I both admire and envy.

It is sad, but he has more than earned his rest.

Follow the news here.