Wednesday, November 23, 2005


Ok, I just watched MTV True Life, that series of documentaries that they run, you know the drill...True Life: I'm In Love, True Life: I'm A Drug Addict, whatever. Today's was quite possibly the most disturbing that I've ever seen, and I'm probably going to piss a few people off explaining why...True Life: I'm A Professional Gamer. HUH!?

The hour long show followed "professional" video game players. These people get paid to travel, and enter "professional" video game TOURNAMENTS. Hahaha. I don't even know what to say. Who needs college, who needs a job, just go play games. The funniest thing to me, was when people were saying they had a long week of "training" coming up; training, meaning sitting on a couch, playing a video game, drinking Red Bull, and that's it.

Now, sorry if I've offended any "professional gamers" out there, but the craziest thing to me, was that there is an entire league of young women's gamers, that play this war game where you run around killing people, shooting them, and slitting their throats. These girls were normal looking teenage girls, and I don't know, maybe it's my bias, but it blows my mind...I guess I always pictured the "pro's" being skinny, pale kids with little 17-year-old facial hair, arms that look like toothpicks, and thumbs that look like the head of a hammer. At least all the guys in the show didn't let me down, and looked exactly that way.